Thursday, October 30, 2008

Arggg.

OK, it appears that Hollywood thinks you and I have the intelligence of rocks.
They think that at the end of October, with less than a week before the Presidential election that either we don't know there is an election or we don't care, AND that because THEY are telling us about it, we are now going to care enough to go out and vote.



I personally believe if you haven't noticed that there is an election coming, then you are avoiding it on purpose. Because that's the ONLY way you would be able to avoid what's been going on.

It's all very cute. First they want you to think they are trying to tell you NOT to vote, and we get to see all of the stars being very confused (not hard, just don't give them cue cards).
Next, behind the lead of Harrison Ford, we see that they don't really believe that at all (some need convincing it seems), they tell us the 2000 election was decided by 537 people (I thought Bush was "selected not elected" in 2000. Hmmm...) so one vote does count (apparently only if you live in Florida, I doubt it will be that close in California).
Then, we get to hear from everyday people (probably just less known actors) tell us why they are going to vote. It is all very touching and well put together. It better be since it is a Spielberg Production.

I hire these people to act, or sing, or write, or Produce for me when I purchase the fruits of their labor. I don't care what the girl at the check out stand thinks about how or if I vote. I don't want to listen to my mechanic go on about how one vote counts. I don't want my dentist to start preaching to me about how I need to go and vote because he thinks I should. This is the same thing. I don't care that Indiana Jones appears genuine in his beliefs (he is an actor, if he can't pull that off he needs to get another job).

I don't know how long this video has been out. But if you are just figuring out there is an election, I DON'T WANT YOU TO VOTE. Because you don't care enough about the process to make an educated decision about anything that is going to be on your ballot. If you haven't been thinking about it for at least a month now, then just stay at home on election day and watch the Daily Show to see who won.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Movember - Sponsor Me

No comments: